RPG Maker XP Simple Message System 2000
When I first switched back to RPG Maker XP after becoming fed up with RMVXAce, I ran into a problem with message scripts. Specifically I felt they were all overly-complicated when I wanted to be able to make edits to them myself. The purpose of this script is to restore the functions of the original RPG Maker 2000 for the sake of simplicity, and give room for more advanced scripters to add their own syntax.
- Classic typewriter-effect behaviour.
- Classic RM2k commands, namely...
- \s[n] Sets the message display pause.
- \v[n] Displays the number in the nth variable.
- \n[n] Displays the name of the nth actor. Specifying  displays the party leader's name.
- \c[n] Sets the text colour. (Note this still uses default behaviours.)
- \$ Displays the amount of money in possession.
- \. 1/4 pause.
- \| Full pause.
- \! Waits on keypress.
- \> Instantly displays text between \> and \<.
- \^ Closes the message window without waiting for a keypress.
- \\ Displays a \.
- Face display with \f[filename|n], or using script commands.
- Displaying a face on the left or right, and flipping the image.
- Changing graphic mid-message!
- Text speed and text sound effect customisation. Other customisations include:
- Fast-forwarding text.
- Pause before displaying choices.
The demo features two scripts: the core message script, and a separate demonstration of custom code, including remade EXFONT graphics and syntax, and a name label shortcut.
Download and Credits
Download Demo (v1.0)
Credits should go to myself, Taylor.
Also would like to thank, ah, RMVX and VXAce's default script code which I referenced in this script's creation.
Changelog(v1.0) Thursday, 6th September 02018
- Right now, you cannot change the text sound effect mid-message. I mostly neglected this as I wasn't sure I could make the syntax brief, and it didn't seem a priority.
- Text colour does not affect EXFONT. This is something I'd like to do, but might require some kinda alpha masking function.
- You probably cannot make face graphics and text overlap, as the way face graphics are redrawn would cause them to erase displayed text.
- Also RMXP is slow by default, hence this demo being in 60fps as I saw no other means to make the lowest speed value any faster.
I'm not sure if I'll be adding new features to this, except anything to improve the base functionality. The way I made this I wanted to keep core/classic features separate from optional ones, to reduce script size and clutter.